Lenovo Flex is one of the slightly lesser known convertible series from Lenovo. The laptops in this series come in a variety of different size, configuration and price range. This time we are gonna take a close look at a 15-inch version convertible laptop from this series, Lenovo Flex 81CA0008US. Without further ado, let’s head towards the review then.
Check out the latest price for the Lenovo Flex 81CA0008US
- CPU – Intel Core i5 Quad-Core (8th Gen), 2.8 GHz
- GPU – Intel UHD Graphics 620
- Memory – 8 GB DDR4
- Screen – 15.6-inch Full HD IPS (1,920 x 1,080) with 10 point touch screen
- Storage – 256 GB SSD
- OS – Windows 10 Home edition
- Display – One of the biggest wow factors in this 2 in 1 is its crisp and clear 15-inch display. The screen is pretty bright with the highest brightness being over 270 nits. The screen covers more than 130% area of the sRGB colour space. So the screen is pretty colour vibrant. The touchscreen is pretty sensitive as well and works great.
- Performance – The core i5 processor with 6 MB of cache is a real workhorse of this model. Even while surfing the net with 10-12 tabs open and running 1080p video at the same time, no sign of lagging or degradation in the performance can be seen. The GPU though is not very high end. An inbuilt Intel UHD graphics is capable enough to handle your everyday tasks.
- Feel – The keyboard works quite reliably. The depression pressure is quite good at 50 grams. The trackpad also seemed to be quite sensitive and smooth.
- Battery – While the battery backup is not as bad as some of the other laptops out in the market, it isn’t anything brilliant either. While surfing the net in low brightness, it lasted slightly longer than 5 and a half hour. It falls slightly short of the class average of 6 hours. The backup would diminish significantly even further if it’s used for graphics-intensive works like gaming (as much as it can run anyway) or running video editing software. Some of the competing laptops like Lenovo Yoga 720 or Samsung Notebook 9 (15-inch) perform significantly better in this category.
- Cooling – Another one of the major issues in this laptop is of overheating. After some normal usage, the back can get rather hot making it very uncomfortable for working on your lap. Under standard workload (surfing the net with Wi-Fi activated) it heated up as much as 40°C. So it’s advised to not use it in a closed environment for a prolonged period.
- Weight – It’s significantly touchscreen than some of its competitors with weighing 6.2 pounds (2.8 kg) making it very inconvenient for using it in the tablet mode.
While Lenovo Flex 81CA0008US is a good choice to run your everyday errands, it does include some obvious drawbacks as well. It still is a good buy at an affordable price. It can be a great alternative to your main laptop while you’re away from it. So if you want a lightweight alternate, it can be your goto laptop.