The HP Omen 880-139 is a gamer’s dream come true. A Canadian exclusive, this desktop comes in at around $1,899.99. Is this stellar desktop worth the high price point? Let’s take a closer look.
CPU: Intel Hex Core i7-8700 – 3.2 GHz – Max Boost of 4.6 GHz
RAM: DDR4 12 GB
GPU: Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
Wireless: Dual Band (2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz) 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Power Supply: 500 Watts
Disk Drive: DVD/CD Writer/Reader
Storage: 1 TB hard drive with a 16 GB Solid State (Not accessible to the user)
OS: Windows 10 Home 64
– The Intel Core i7-8700 has phenomenal multicore performance. You’ll see significant gains in multicore performance over the previous generation’s Core i7-7700 (a quad-core CPU).
– With the i7-8700 having its back, the Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 is able to completely stretch its legs. With the fps (frames per second) rates in many games running easily into the 80-90+ range in 1440p (even in demanding games like Battlefield 1), the GTX 1070 is a behemoth. It has 8 GB of VRAM, so you’ll be able to easily crank up the texture settings during your next gaming binge.
– The wireless adapter included in the Omen supports the powerful 802.11 AC wifi protocol which provides a blazingly quick wireless connection. It also supports dual band connectivity (2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz).
– Even though the Core i7-8700 is a beast, it still drags slightly behind the Core i7-8700K in overall performance. While in gaming the performance difference is negligible, you may see a difference in applications that are very CPU heavy. Also, since this is not an Intel “K” edition CPU, you won’t be able to overclock it.
– The Omen doesn’t have 16 GB of RAM which is usually a standard in high-end PCs. While this likely won’t impact gaming performance, it could slightly impact performance in audio and/or video editing applications.
– The 1 TB hard drive is seriously limiting. While you can always add another hard drive, at the price point of $1,899.99, a larger hard drive should already be included.
– While the motherboard can support a second graphics card, the 500 watt power supply will not be enough to power a second GTX 1070. So if you plan on eventually adding a second GTX 1070, you will need to upgrade the power supply.
The HP Omen 880-139 is a gaming powerhouse. It will play most games on ultra settings in 1440p for at least a few years to come. The powerful CPU allows for strong performance in video/audio editing programs. However, at $1,899.99 it should have at least 16 GB of RAM and a much larger hard drive. If you’re just looking for a solid 1440p gaming experience and you’re unbothered by the high price point, the HP Omen 880-139 will not disappoint you.