MSI is a fairly popular name in the gaming communities for their high-end gaming laptops yet touting a fairly affordable price tag. This time we are going to peek into the details of MSI GS73VR STEALTH PRO-060. This specific model comes at a number of different sizes and flavours. The main difference between them is mostly in the different combination of the size of the hybrid storage system and the size of the screen. Without further ado let’s dive into the review then.
- CPU – Intel Core i7 Quad-Core (7th Gen), 2.8 GHz
- GPU – 8 GB DDR5, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
- Memory – 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4, extendable upto 32 GB
- Screen – 17.3-inch Full HD (1,920 x 1,080)
- Storage – 2 TB SATA HDD + 256 GB SSD
- OS – Windows 10 Home edition
- Performance – What you expect from a gaming laptop is sheer power; even more so if it is as expensive as this. With its Intel Core i7 processor, 16 gigs of RAM and a cocktail of 256 GB M.2 SSD and a 2 TB SATA HDD you can expect exactly that. But the cream of the crop is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 GPU with the Max-Q technology which makes possible slimmer and more compact design and better cooling at the price of less processing power. With the power that 1070 gives you would easily be able to run games like The Witcher 3 (50 fps), GTA V (55 fps), Mass Effect Andromeda (60 fps) and Overwatch (>100 fps) in the ultra settings. Well, the whole situation sums up to this: while this GPU may stagger a bit for gaming in 1440p quality or higher it is great (or even be fantastic) for gaming in 1080p quality in high or ultra settings.
- Ports – You get an abundance of ports in GS73VR STEALTH PRO-060 in case you need to connect your shiny little QHD monitor in the HDMI port while needing you to plug that gaming mouse and put it in to charge at the same time. You get 3 USB ports (2 USB 3.0 ports and a USB 2.0 port), an HDMI port, USB type-C port supporting Thunderbolt 3 and some other important ports.
- Cooling – The cooling system with 3 fans (great!!) in it should get a grade between average and good. After a period of an extended gaming session, the CPU was as hot as only 80°F to 85°F and the GPU temperature was recorded around 75°C. Although the fans tend not to turn on by themselves always for some reason. A cooling pad would be great even though you can make do without it just fine.
- Keyboard – Well, it isn’t expected from such an expensive laptop but it seems there’s a bit of an issue with the keyboard (especially the space key). A number of users have reported that the space key is not very sensitive to clicks that are recorded from a bit of the edge of the button. While it would have been best without this issue, the easiest solution is maybe just to press it a bit strongly.
- Audio – While the speakers are pretty much loud for our everyday purposes, the sound quality felt pretty flat. Also the louder the speakers are, the more distortion you would get in the sound. One piece of advice, you better buy an external speaker if you are not gonna use your gaming headphone.
- Fingerprint magnet – Who likes those nasty fingerprints on this killer looking brushed metal casing?? If you hate them as much as I do then you better keep a piece of cloth around you. So have a safe journey, don’t drink and drive and obviously don’t forget the napkin…;)
While MSI GS73VR STEALTH PRO-060 is a bit pricey, it sure does compensate with a lot of features like the powerful NVIDIA 1070 GPU, a 17.3-inch FHD screen and a lot of useful ports. If you are not going to step back looking at the price then this laptop can be a good candidate for your needs. Equally recommended for both hardcore gamers and graphics professionals.